New playground and lush clearings in the Centenary park
On 18 January, construction of the first permanent parts of the Centenary Park on land starts, with an excursion playground and lush clearings. During the entire construction period, parts of the park are open and accessible for visitors.
The construction period will start with the demolition of the temporary changing rooms, soil remediation, removal of trees, laying of new pipes and foundation being laid.
Towards the end of Spring, the new permanent park will begin to emerge. Bridges, walls and benches will be in place and plant beds will be built for planting trees, shrubs and flowers.
Playground theme: Shapes and imagination
During the summer, the building of Gothenburg’s fifth excursion playground will start with about twenty artistic sculptures for play coming into place. The theme is shapes and imagination.
– The production of the sculptures starts at the beginning of the year. There will be sculptures, for example, to climb, swing and slide on, hide in and create sounds and small imaginative figures with, says Malin Gustafsson, project manager at Gothenburg’s park and recreation administration.
The sculptures will challenge and encourage play for children of different ages, create curiosity and stimulate the imagination. This, in combination with high security and accessibility.
– In order for the sculptures to meet the requirements that exist for playground equipment in terms of safety and accessibility, we work with external as well as internal experts on play safety and accessibility, Malin Gustafsson explains.
OPENING SPRING / SUMMER 2022
At the end of 2021, the large number of trees and plants that create the lush clearings are planted. In the spring / summer of 2022, the new parts of the Centenary park will be opened for visitors. During the entire construction period, parts of the existing park will be open, and the construction area will be fenced.
Activities in the park during construction:
- The outdoor classroom is open to the public and schools all year round.
- The skateboard ramp is open and accessible for roller activities.
- The sailing school in the harbour basin starts in May 2021.
- The public pool is planned to open for the summer season for swimming and swimming school.