This is Gothenburg’s 400th Anniversary
On 4 June 1621 Gothenburg was awarded city rights. We are celebrating this by working together to make our city an even better place. But what does this actually entail?
Göteborg & Co has been instructed by the City Executive Board to develop plans for the anniversary on a yearly basis. Back in 2009 the City of Gothenburg decided to use the 400-year anniversary as a milestone and catalyst for the city’s development. Read more about the anniversary projects here.
Engaging the Entire City
Thousands of ideas and suggestions from Gothenburg residents and perspective groups were compiled in an anniversary plan that was adopted by the Municipal Council, and in a book of ideas that provides feedback for residents. The anniversary marks an opportunity for residents to shape the city’s development through their ideas. Right from the start this has been a public process aimed at putting ideas into practice and generating lasting values for Gothenburg. All these ideas, dreams and suggestions provide the basis for the themes and goals that will lead towards the anniversary vision, right up to 2021 and well beyond.
Sustainability in Action
The anniversary efforts build on all three aspects of sustainability: social, ecological and economic. Ultimately, the aim is to build a city where dreams are taken seriously, where everyone who lives and works feels a sense of participation and belonging, and which attracts more people. This is how we want to celebrate our city together and make a global impression. The sustainability efforts are in line with the City of Gothenburg’s agreed policies and guidelines for managing and implementing the anniversary initiatives in residents’ best interests.
By 2021, Gothenburg will be internationally recognised as a brave role model for sustainable growth. We are an innovative, open and inclusive city, where all residents feel a sense of purpose and participation.
- To make an international mark by working to make Gothenburg a city where residents enjoy life and feel involved, proud and confident about the future.
- To be a bold model for sustainable growth by meeting and exceeding already agreed targets.
- To develop Gothenburg and the surrounding region through broad collaboration with the city’s committees and companies, as well as local, regional, national and international stakeholders.
- To involve the whole city in the celebrations by inviting ongoing open consultation with everyone.
- To strengthen the image of Gothenburg through effective communication and marketing.